Friday 3 August 2007

I love digging...

Digging to America that is, the latest Anne Tyler novel.




My Anne Tyler addiction began in high school, where for year 12 English we studied Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant.
This latest book has been an "I think I can squeeze in a few pages as I stir the custard at the stove" or "the girls won't mind if I read a couple of pages while they eat their toast" kind of book. In other words, hard to put down.

She has a way of describing people and their feelings so you feel you know them, and have for a long time. If you live in Baltimore, Maryland in the US and haven't discovered her books it's a tragedy, as this is where they are all set, and so would be even more familiar.

She writes a bit like another of my favourite authors, Tim Winton; who can describe the smells and sounds of an Aussie beach in way that makes you feel like you are there.

Do yourself a favour and check them out.

No comments: