Tuesday 3 September 2013

Zipping along

Like many sewists, I've had a bit of a phobia about putting in zips.

There's just something about these long and slinky things that gets people nervous about fitting them properly.
But I am pleased to say that zippers and I are now friends, even more so since I recently completed Nicole Mallalieu's' Zippers for bags' class.

This class is done using the Large Tote pattern - it has lots of options 
I learned how to put in all sorts of zips for pockets inside and on the outside of a bag as well as how to prepare a zippered gusset like the one above that will be installed on the top of the bag.

A pocket for small things that fall to the bottom of your bag!
We did this cute little exposed zipper pocket which is in the lining of the bag...

I put a pop of colour in these external pockets that you can only see when they are open
Simple exposed zipper pockets on the outside - and these were actually very simple to do!

I'm adding a zipper pull to this pocket, it's hidden away from view.
And also, my favourite, the Lapped Zipper pocket which hides under a small flap on the bag so from the outside you don't even know it's there.

I've made good use of the scraps from the cushions in my last post you can see!
There was also a zipped divider pocket which I didn't do as I felt this bag had enough pockets already!

Nikki gives simple to follow and clear instruction and guides you through the zipper applications of your choosing in the class and sends you home with wonderful clear instruction on how to do each one.

It certainly improves the final look of the finished products with lots of little tips and tricks for a great professional-looking finish.

She has another class coming up on Saturday 26th of October at GJ's in Brunswick.
Why not give yourself a treat and book in, you won't be disappointed.

Clearly I am not quite finished this bag but once I am done I will show you the finished version.

4 comments:

ARTwendy ... said...

zip zip hooray! they look amazing .... love a trick or two ... NM rocks!

Natalie said...

sounds like a fantastic class - zips and I have an on-and-off relationship :) Wish I lived in Melbourne!

Lanetta said...

Thanks for sharing your experience and tips! Love the colorful pocket linings. I've included a link to this post in my Scary Zipper article posted today!
http://lanettascreations.blogspot.com/2013/09/scary-zippers.html#.UihcpsasiSo

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed! I've made a little crochet purse, that's just waiting for a zip. I've been procrastinating about it for a week. Today, I finally bought the zip. Tonight, it IS going to happen!