Tuesday 1 October 2013

Blogtoberfest here I come!!

Ok, yes I have been a bit blog slack...
Don't worry I've been reminded about it and questioned as to whether I really am a blogger anymore!

So when prompted by the lovely Wendy about whether Blogtober was going ahead I did a little hunting around and found it's being hosted by Shells in the Bush, so click on over if you want to get on board too and grab a button.

I am going to do my best to get back into the blog habit and post something every day in October - no matter how small...

Today I want to bring to your attention a great cause/event that is happening in ten days.

There's an International Sew-along happening to make up feminine hygiene kits for girls in countries where they sometimes have to manage each month by using leaves or newspaper, or they simply stay home for the duration of their period.

Days for Girls - Every Girl. Everywhere. Period.
Having appropriate supplies, in their own little drawstring bag,  means they can attend school every day, and not miss out on up to 60 days every year.
It gives them the chance to stand tall in their community and not have to hide away.
It gives them dignity.

It's such a simple thing and I love that practical skills can be applied to make something that can make a real difference to someone's life.

The Sew-along is being hosted by Days for Girls click the link and visit their site to read more - it will be time well spent.

If you are in Melbourne and want to get involved, Wendy and I are hosting an even in the Eastern suburbs on Friday October 11th (2pm til late) and the morning of Saturday 12th October.

Leave me a comment that links to your email address and I can send you further details.

Otherwise jump on the Days for Girls website and see how else you can help.


3 comments:

ARTwendy ... said...

yippee!!! ..... Period.

Unknown said...

Awesome project! I'd love additional details - I have a troop of 16 Cadette girls scouts (6th graders) here in Duluth, GA and I think they would love to participate! My email is cgautreaux@hotmail.com

Austysmum said...

Thanks for pointing out such a great project. This would be a fantastic way to use up my PUL scraps from my nappy making days!